Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"It's Nice to See You Again, Oprah"

At the San Francisco Writer’s Conference two years ago one of the speakers suggested that the seven most powerful words in publishing were, “It’s nice to see you again, Oprah.” Too true unless your name is Sarah Palin.

At least I can say that I wrote my book.

I could count on one hand the number of authors who don’t fantasize sitting next to Oprah during one of her shows. I am no different. I also know that there are better odds for world peace than Oprah asking me to read my shortest chapter, “A Short History of Guys and the Kitchen.”

Will I send her show my book? Absolutely. Something about nothing ventured.

I was commiserating with a fellow self-published author yesterday (and fellow San Francisco Writer’s Conference attendee) over the daunting odds of selling books in today’s economy and during a downward spiral of people-who-read-books. No bloodletting but massive wringing of hands and primal groans. We are both casting about trying tactics that would have been unheard of even ten years ago.

My next book may be entitled Rogue Marketing for the Self-Published. But it would only see the light of day if I sell enough books to beat those daunting odds. At least those are better odds than appearing on Oprah.

1 comment:

Eileen Williams said...

Boy, can I relate! As your fellow hand-wringer, I'm all for buying a preview copy of "Rogue Marketing for the Self-Published!"

But we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves... "Guy's Guide to Domestic Engineering" is filled with humor, insight, advice, and even mouth-watering recipes. Anyone looking for a great read with a message should pick up a copy!

And, Oprah, if you're reading this--that means YOU, too!!!